IN THE LATE NINETEENTH AND EARLY TWENTIETH CENTURIES, THERE WAS AN URGENT NEED TO BUILD NEW SOURCES OF WATER FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.
FOUNTAIN OF THE TAPS
Due to the demographic increase that the population had experienced. The fountain of the taps dates from the early twentieth century and was built, on the right bank of the river point next to the ford of the fords.
The ford of the passerelles was one of the main reasons for choosing the Madrigalejo site.
Carts and carts could cross the river, without difficulty, through that wide ford, since time immemorial, until the construction of the bridge, around 1930.
And in this ford a row of large stones were placed, the “pasaderas”, so that the neighbors could pass to the other bank without getting wet.
The name of this fountain is due to the numerous taps that crowned its granite premises. As a hygienic measure, the well was covered with a large zinc lid to prevent people from contaminating the water. And through the faucets, water came out thanks to an internal device, activated by an external wheel with a crank, which had to be operated by one or two people. The water poured directly into the pitchers, which were placed on the seats made on purpose for them.
The neighbors came to this fountain to fetch water, with their pitchers; one on the head, leaning on the knee, and the other on the rump. And in this way, they jumped over the passages of the pitchers full of water, from stone to stone, saving the river on their way back home.
It was worth seeing the ease with which they did it.