Madrigalejo Railway Station (Ruins)

The railroad project to link Talavera de la Reina with Villanueva de la Serena began in 1928, with the aim of promoting the economic and social development of the area. Fourteen stations, nine stops, 12 tunnels and 17 viaducts were built.
The Madrigalejo station was built four kilometers from the town. This project began in 1928 and was abandoned in 1962, following the model of other places where they were being built. In spite of the fact that all the work was carried out, only one train passed through Logrosán as a test run, and no other train ever ran on its tracks again.
There are many constructions and facilities that are intended for the efficient development of the activities of a passenger and freight train.

679 48 11 17
Exteriors, Every day

The main building has an area of about 300 m2 and a capacity for 150 passengers. Inside, there are pieces of the posters that indicated the destinations and schedules of the trains that never ran. You can also see the tracks that extend to the north and south, but end abruptly in the middle of the field.
It is a two-story building with a brick facade and a clock tower. Some original elements were preserved inside, such as the counters, benches and lockers.
The station is surrounded by a park with trees, benches and fountains, where neighbors often stroll and celebrate some parties. One of them is the Thursday of Comadres, which is celebrated on the Thursday before the carnival. On that day, the town’s young people tie empty cans to their bicycles and make noise in the streets. Then they go on a pilgrimage to the station, where they eat, drink and dance to the music.
It was a narrow-gauge line, with a gauge of 750 mm, which would run some 146 km through the provinces of Toledo, Cáceres and Badajoz. However, the project was affected by numerous technical, economic and political problems. The Civil War, the post-war period and the dictatorship delayed the works and reduced the budgets. In addition, the emergence of road transport made railroads less interesting and less profitable. Finally, in 1962, it was decided to abandon the project, leaving an unfinished and ghostly work.
The road is in recovery. For this purpose, El Camino Natural de Las Villuercas has been designed, which is a route linking the regions of Vegas del Guadiana and La Jara, crossing landscapes of great beauty and ecological value. The road takes advantage of this route of the old railroad from Talavera de la Reina to Villanueva de la Serena, which was never completed1 . The road has a length of almost 70 km and is divided into six stages1 . One of them passes through Madrigalejo, where you can visit the Bird Observatory and the Interpretation Center of the Catholic Monarchs among other places of interest. The trail runs parallel to the Ruecas River and the Sierra Brava reservoir, where numerous species of waterfowl can be observed. It is signposted and can be explored on foot, by bicycle or on horseback.