AT THE BEGINNING OF THE 20TH CENTURY, THE NEED FOR WATER FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION BECAME EVIDENT.
SOURCE OF THE REPUBLIC
There was the problem that the water in the subsoil where the town is located is not very suitable for making beverages, because it is hard and brackish, while the water on the right bank of the Ruecas River is fine and good to drink.
To address this need, several projects were carried out in various parts of the locality. Among all of them, this large well stands out, both for its magnitude and for the public service it provided. It is a large capacity vessel of about 10 m span, circular in shape with the rim made of reinforced concrete and rich springs, and it is also located very close to the town center, next to the bridge that saves the Ruecas River, which, at that time, had just been built.
The works were carried out over 2 years, between 1931 and 1933. They began with the excavation of the well and the construction of the curbstone, and were completed with the cleaning of the esplanade and the drainage of excess water to the river.
It received the name of “Fuente de la República” (Fountain of the Republic) as a result of the municipal plenary session held on June 11, 1932, for having been “built with the help of the Government and private individuals to meet the workers’ unemployment”.
Since then and until running water reached the homes, this fountain provided an important public service by supplying water for human consumption to the neighbors. The water was carried by the indispensable ceramic water jugs, which the women carried on their heads and rump or placed in the watering cans carried by the donkeys.
For all these reasons, the fountain of the Republic is now part of our heritage and our history.